THE MOST COMMON TYPES OF PAIN FOLLOWING A CAR ACCIDENT
When two cars collide at upwards of even 30km/h there is tremendous force put on your body from the abrupt jerking motion. Often times your neck, back, arms, and legs are affected. Here is a list of the most commonly injured body parts as a result of car accidents.
Brain and head injuries:
One of the most common and debilitating injuries suffered by drivers and passengers is an acquired brain injury caused by the head being hit or hitting an object violently. Symptoms can be mild, moderate or severe, depending on the extent of damage to the brain and the area affected.
Another common form of injury from a car accident is neck injury, which can occur in more mild forms such as whiplash and neck strain, to more serious injuries like cervical dislocation and disc injury.
Symptoms of a Neck Injury
Moments after an accident, you may not realize you have been injured if there are no immediate signs of a broken bone, cuts or scrapes, or loss of consciousness. However, many muscular, neck and spinal injuries are not seen until an MRI or CT scan is performed. You might experience some other symptoms that are a sign of neck injury, such as:
- Pain in the shoulder or upper arms
- Reduced range of motion in the neck
- Numbness or weakness around the neck
- Muscle spasms
As some injuries may involve the spinal cord, a person can experience pain in the extremities, like the arms and hands, if their neck has been injured.
Call our Physiotherapy Clinic and Chiropractic Centre at Core Wellness Centre Today!
416 479 – 8311
Symptoms of Whiplash
If you have whiplash, you may experience some of the following symptoms:
- Neck and back pain and aching
- Neck stiffness and decreased range of motion
- Shoulder pain and stiffness
- Headaches (most commonly at the base of the skull radiating towards the forehead)
- Jaw pain
- Arm pain and weakness
- Sensory disturbances, such as pins and needles
Some patients also experience cognitive symptoms of whiplash such as:
- Ringing in the ears
- Visual disturbances, such as blurred vision
- Difficulty concentrating
- Memory problems
- Difficulty sleeping
Spinal Cord Injury:
The damage to the spinal cord is caused when displaced bone fragments, disc material, or ligaments tear into spinal cord tissue, destroying axons, the part of our nerve cells that carry signals up and down the spinal cord between the brain and the rest of the body. Damage to the spinal cord often results in a loss of function or feeling.
The most common site of back injuries is the lower back. These injuries include: sprains and strain, herniated discs and fractured vertebrae. They may result in pain and limit your mobility Sometimes the symptoms of even the most serious back injuries can take some time to show up after an accident. Unfortunately, back injury can cause long lasting pain and discomfort.
PHYSIOTHERAPY CLINIC FOR THE BEST TREATMENT YOU CAN FIND
Following a car accident, the best thing you can do is visit your local chiropractor and physiotherapy clinic. Chiropractors have a deep understanding of how the body works and are able to find the root cause of your problem quickly and the physical therapist can help to restore mobility. Other accompanying treatments you may want to explore include cold laser therapy or tens machine.
What to do if you have been injured in a car accident:
- Contact your insurance agency as quickly as possible and report the accident. This important step documents the accident and guarantees that you will be able to receive treatment for any injuries you suffered.
- Contact Core Wellness Centre and book an appointment with our Motor Vehicle Specialists at our office on St. Clair Avenue West near Bathurst Street. We will discuss a physical therapy regiment that is properly suited and customized for your specific needs and healthy recovery.
How to book an appointment
- Phone: Call us to book an appointment that suits your schedule.
- Contact us here and we will get right back to you
What are the most frequent car accident injuries?
Car accidents are more common than most people imagine. On average, 165,000 people are injured in a car accident every year in Canada.
The most common injuries that occur from car accidents are whiplash, muscular strains/ligament sprains in the neck, shoulder, mid-back, lower back, elbow, hips or knees.
If you are feeling discomfort after getting into a car accident or being involved in one, you may be suffering from one of these injuries and it is important that you seek medical attention immediately.
Important information about motor vehicle accident injuries:
First things first, if you are injured in a car accident, obtain medical treatment immediately or as soon as possible. It is important to have your injury diagnosed and create a proper record of symptoms and diagnosis. This will be important for future medical treatment and any insurance or legal claims you may pursue.
In some cases, an injury is fairly obvious. You may experience swelling, deep bruising, or muscle and joint discomfort. However, this isn’t always the case and some injuries can take weeks, months, or even years to surface. In almost every instance, these injuries could have been properly treated with a personalized physical rehabilitation program adhered to in the first stages of the injury.
Core Wellness Centre takes the health and recovery of its patients very seriously. Our treatment programs focus on a multi-disciplinary approach which includes the following services:
- Massage Therapy
- And many other services designed at helping you achieve a healthy and happy lifestyle
Why Core Wellness Centre is the healthy choice:
When you join us, you become more than just a patient. Through our treatment programs, we will help you get back into form and return to doing the things you love in life.
During your first meeting with one of our injury specialists, we will discuss your medical history and perform a physical evaluation. We will help you develop a customized and personalized treatment program that will target all specific areas of concern and help you overcome your injuries.
As treatment progresses, your treatment plan will be continuously tweaked to match your improvements and to focus on any problem areas.
Who pays for your treatment?
According to Ontario’s Insurance Laws, anyone who is receiving treatment for a motor vehicle accident injury must first submit treatment expenses to any Extended Health Plans that may be available from their employer, school, spouse, parent or self-directed plan.
Our injury specialists will process your applicable Extended Health Coverage and will then submit the necessary documents to the motor vehicle insurer so that you receive co-ordinated and uninterrupted treatment. At Core Wellness Centre we make sure that there is no obstacle to your receiving the treatment that you require.
In Ontario, ALL patients injured in a motor vehicle accident are entitled to at least 12 weeks of rehabilitation treatment and medical goods and services. This treatment is paid for by the motor vehicle insurance company.
If you are uncertain about your insurance coverage, or if you have questions about who will pay for your treatment, please speak to our injury specialists, and they will be happy to clarify your coverage before you begin treatment.
Car Accidents in Toronto
A crash occurs every five minutes in Ontario. Furthermore, an injury occurs every 11 minutes from a crash. These accidents can range from serious multi-vehicle collisions to parking lot fender benders. Regardless of the severity of the crash, injuries can occur from even the most minor collisions.
We recommend seeking medical attention immediately if you have obvious injuries. However, many people don’t realize that many car accident injuries develop over time. Without proper treatment, injuries will worsen.
Signs You Need a Physiotherapist After an Accident
Here are a few key signs that you may need to see a physiotherapist after a car accident.
1) Stiffness: If you experience stiffness of the neck and upper back after accident, this may indicate whiplash. Whiplash is a common injury for auto accidents. This occurs when the discs, joints, ligaments, cervical muscles, and nerves of the neck are injured from the sudden impact.
2) Poor range of motion: Experiencing problems with flexibility and range of motion can indicate soft tissue damage. If you’re struggling to perform every day activities, such as bending over to tie your shoes, it may be time for a visit to the clinic for physio or chiropractic treatment.
Spinal adjustments and manipulations to other parts of the body can realign the bones and joints to both reduce pain and restore range of motion. Our professional chiopractor may also recommend safe at-home exercises and stretches to improve flexibility.
3) Headaches: Whiplash and other neck injuries can lead to tension headaches. They can also be the result of stress following an accident. You don’t need to rely on over-the-counter pain medication to ease your headache. Chiropractic adjustments alleviate the stress the spine that support the neck to improve symptoms.
4) Numbness or weakness: Nerve injury or pressure on the spine can cause you to experience numbness or tingling in your arms, fingers, legs, or feet. This can signal a herniated disk, or can also be a symptom of whiplash. We use non-invasive manipulation techniques to relieve pressure on nerves.
Call us to schedule an appointment at Core Wellness Centre. Our staff are here to answer any questions you may have on your auto accident injuries.